All The Things (part one)
A running list of all the things I love. Because there’s no better way to pull myself out of a funk than to appreciate what’s around me.
- handwritten letters in the mail from friends who just want to share what’s going on in their daily life
- the clickity clack of my dog’s nails as she excitedly tap dances into my room after me
- the sound of rain falling outside my bedroom window, and how much sweeter it sounds from the comfort of my bed covers
- discovering a morning ritual that gets me too excited to hit the snooze button
- that moment when you first realize you share the same humor as someone who seemed so different or standoffish; that first shared laugh where your eyes and their eyes light up in the recognition of, ‘hey, you’re not so bad after all’
- chunky sneakers and clunky boots, because I think feet have a lot to say
- finding just enough wine left in the bottle to enjoy a small glass before bed, after that ass kick of a day
- when little kids smile and laugh with strangers, as if sharing a great joke with an old friend
- that rush of energy that happens once in a while when you are writing and, out of nowhere, you’ve uncovered a great truth about yourself or the world around you
- commercials with unrecognizable songs that send goosebumps up my neck, that I need to Shazam RIGHT. THIS. MINUTE.
- that one text from that one friend that comes in at the exact right moment
- seeing people jamming out in their car during bumper-to-bumper traffic, reminding me that being an angry driver is a choice
- dimmer lights and bath tubs in fancy hotels, which can turn an ordinary night into a luxurious night of pampering
- staring out my living room windows at the gorgeous Portland city-scape at night, with all of it’s lights and colors, and pretending that it’s a piece of living art that only I own
Your turn. What do you love?
With courage, love, and intensity,