Sometimes I forget that the quickest way for me to get inspired is to watch a video.
If I’m nervous about singing, all I have to do is pull up The Voice on YouTube and suddenly I’m as confident as if I’m on the show. If I’m down on myself for lazying away the day, watching a TED Talk pumps enough energy through my body to keep me up half the night. We live in such an amazing time, where we can instantaneously pull up a video about ANYTHING and suddenly turn our moods around.
Existing long before online video, music still serves a similar purpose. Lately, when I listen to Taylor Swift’s Red album, I cry. But when I play ‘White Nights’ by Oh Land, the dance monster takes over my body — which is particularly dangerous if I’m driving.
Videos and music are pretty easy to access, since they are free with an internet connection. If you’re reading my blog, you are probably also simultaneously watching or listening to something else in the background. But, even when you run into a situation where you need some inspiration and you don’t have the interwebs to rev you up, you could always go with my longest-standing motivator: thinking of all the really cool discoveries you’ve made in the past 48 hours.
Seriously, it will blow your mind.
I sat down to make a short list of exciting new things life introduced to me last weekend, and it shocks me that boredom even exists. Here are some examples of my happy new findings:
1. The show ‘Girls’
2. I really, REALLY want to go to Prague
3. Trader Joes green tea flavored Mochi (I’m pretty sure I’ve had this before, but WOW these things are tasty)
4. $5 sparkling red wine… delicious AND cheap!
5. A sweet yoga blog created by a girl I used to watch Snick! and have sleepovers with in elementary school
6. The softest sweatpants I’ve ever worn – an early xmas gift to myself from Victoria’s Secret
7. The calm I’m feeling after a storm of a week
8. Vanilla cinnamon tea
9. Winter has officially hit San Francisco!
10. I’m no longer afraid of the idea of traveling to Thailand solo
I realize nearly half of my list involves food/drinks, but if you live by a Trader Joes, I guarantee you’ll average three taste-tastic discoveries per weekend. How cool it is to live in a world where fascinating new things are only an aisle or two away? Or, a click or download away? So, go put some pep in your step and start creating!
With courage, love, and intensity,
Photo credit: ClickFlashPhotos / Nicki Varkevisser / Foter / CC BY